Manhattan Beach offers warm and smooth sand that contributed to making it “the” birthplace of volleyball. This beach is therefore also host to exciting volleyball tournaments. For residents and tourists alike you will also find great surfing.
Upon your arrival at this beautiful Los Angeles beach it will be easy for you to understand why the Beach Boys mentioned this surfing area in the song “Surfin USA”. Home to many surf competitions as well, this beach is great for those who love to stay active in beach sports. Hermosa Beach is being included in this strand of beach for a total length of just under 4 miles (6.2Km). Combined they make up one of the best beaches in Los Angeles. This stretch of prime oceanfront properties with their multimillion dollar homes is considered by many to be
"Beverly Hills On The Beach".
The South Bay Bicycle Trail or Marvin Braude Bike Trail wanders by the seashore. It is a great feature for anyone wanting to enjoy some activities by the ocean as well. The trail stretches a complete 22 miles to Will Rogers State Beach. This could easily be a one or two day activity giving yourself time to enjoy coffee shops, people watch in Venice Beach and so much more.
• Walk the Manhattan Beach Pier and visit the Roundhouse Marine Studies Lab.
• Fish off the Pier with the kids. You may catch a shark!
• Watch for daring surfers try to navigate between pylons under pier. (Danger. Do not attempt this)
• Relax, enjoy the beach!
• Spas are a big attraction in this posh area. The Trilogy Spa seems to get good reviews.
• Walk along the bike path and view multi million dollar homes.
• Don't miss the International surf festival. Fantastic beach fun!
• At the North of the beach is the massive El Segundo Power Plant. Very unsightly so you may want to avoid the north end.
• You may note some aircraft noise at north end as well since LAX is close to this area as well.
• Parking is a little tough to get.
• Facilities are readily accessible.